Mayweather Ready To Grant Pacquiao Rematch
grant Manny Pacquiao a rematch following the Filipino boxer’s disclosure that a shoulder injury hampered his performance in last weekend’s world title showdown, ESPN reported Tuesday.
ESPN reported that Mayweather had told
journalist Stephen A. Smith in a text
message that he was ready to don gloves
once again after Pacquiao recovers from
surgery to repair a rotator cuff.
“I will fight him in a year after his surgery,” Mayweather said in the text message, according to ESPN.
Mayweather’s apparent readiness to step
into the ring with Pacquiao once more
appears to contradict remarks he made in
the aftermath of his victory in Las Vegas
on Saturday, when he insisted he planned
to retire after one more fight in September.
“My last fight is in September, and then
it’s time for me to hang it up,” said
Mayweather after his unanimous decision
The 38-year-old, who is just one win away
from matching Rocky Marciano’s 49-0
record, has previously said he has no desire to move past the heavyweight’s
revered unbeaten benchmark.
However while it is doubtful that any rematch with Pacquiao could generate the
levels of interest and income seen in their
first encounter, it would still earn enough
to be a money-spinning duel.
Pacquiao’s camp on Monday issued a
statement confirming that the Filipino had
suffered a “significant” muscle tear in his
“We have an MRI scan that confirms he
has a rotator cuff tear. He has a significant tear,” surgeon Neal ElAttrache of the Kerlan Jobe Orthopedic Clinic said.
ElAttrache is one of the most respected
surgeons in North America, having
operated on New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Los Angeles
Dodgers pitcher Zack Greinke and Los
Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant.
Pacquiao’s camp have complained that
the Nevada State Athletic Commission
barred the fighter from receiving
treatment for the injury using an anti-
inflammatory injection approved by the
United States Anti-Doping Agency.